CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Families can be together forever:)


It is with a heavy heart and a great love and gratitude for this gospel that I post about my father in law Clay Roland Anderson. On Thurs night Jan 20th, Clay was playing basketball at the stake center when he collapsed and had a massive heart attack. Now you must first understand that receiving the call about this horrible event was incredibly shocking since Clay is a VERY healthy, active young 55 yr old man. I mean he is the fitness for life professor at UVU. He was taken by ambulance to Timp hospital and of course within min all of his family arrived. We all waited in the ER just hoping maybe he passed out or that the heart attack wasn't fatal. He then was given an angiogram so the doctors could see what the problem was. They found that his heart was actually missing an artery and had three blocked one's. They don't know how long it had been like that, days, months, years, even from birth. The doctor was surprised he was alive this long. They told us he would have a quadruple bypass and go form there. We waited and waited until finally the surgeon came to let us know his progress. The surgery went great, the heart looked wonderful. But he wasn't responding well or trying to speak or move. They said they were worried about the length of time his brain went without oxygen and they were worried about brain damage. The room went silent except for our cries. We couldn't imagine that Clay could be brain dead. It just couldn't be. After 4 days of waiting to see if he would pull out of his coma on Mon Jan 24, he had a MRI and the radiologist brought us in to tell us the results. Most of his brain was severely damaged and he had no hope for a meaningful recovery or normal life. We all lost it. We couldn't believe this news. Not Clay, who is smart, fun, active and anything else that goes along with an amazing person. I've never seen my husband so heart broken and upset. The cries of Julie and her kids will forever break my heart. After bringing all his extended family in and sharing the news they made the obvious but incredibly difficult choice of letting him go back to his Heavenly Father and pulling the plugs. We were all worried cause the doctor said his body is fine and that it was just his brain that was damaged so it could be awhile before he passed and it could be violent and hard to watch, (he would start seizing and try to breath on his own) After a beautiful blessing to release his spirt that he might not be in pain, by his boys and brother, it was only a hour after that he passed. It was very peaceful. No seizing or violent breathing. A very spiritual and hard experience. His family was so strong. Especially Julie, his wife. I sat and watched this family cling to each other and rejoice in Christ the whole night. They knew that Heavenly Father had a mission for Clay in heaven and that he had done all he needed to on this earth. There testimony of eternal families and the resurrection only grew stronger that night. All of ours did. I am so blessed to be a part of this family, to have known Clay for these last 6 years and for the effect he left on my life. I'm so blessed to have a true knowledge of life and to have the gospel. I know that one day we will all be reunited with Clay again with plenty of tears, laughter and love. He was one of the best man I know he and has left an amazing legacy behind. I am proud to be an Anderson.


10 comments:

Merfy said...

Beautifully put Cherice! I cried all over again reading this. Love you guys. We are still praying for all of you!

Todd and Holly said...

Oh my goodness! I don't know you, and you don't know me. I just happened to see your page on a friends blog and saw a picture of Clay. He was my professor only 2 years ago. What a great man! I can't beleive the news, I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of his family!

Nicole Christensen said...

Beautiful, Cherice. I love you

Johansen Family said...

Hey Cherice! It is Kimberly from hair school, I just found your blog recently. I am sorry to hear the news of your father-in-law.

Keith and Charayye said...

Cherice, I knew you would be doing a post on this so I came onto your blog to see. I could not believe the news of this. You know I grew up in that ward and have known the Anderson's for a very long time. Man I'm thinking of it, Julie was my teacher in young womans! Anyway, Clay was the best gosple doctrine teacher! I loved going in and hearing his lessons! Such a good teacher and example of what it means to be christ like. This was such a shock of news to get! And I to thought Clay is healthy how could this happen! The only thoughts that came to me was heavenly father obviously needed him and is beautiful testimony in heaven. It's a beautiful plan that we have and such an amazing feeling to know families can be together forever & we will see all our loved ones again. Sorry this is so long but I really wanted to express my feelings of sorrow and also of piece. Piece that Clay is in a wonderful place:) My thoughts go out to all the Anderson family. And your post was beautiful, well written! Take care, and your little guy is beautiful! He looks like his mommy:)

Unknown said...

Wow what a rough and sacred few days. I love you and haven't stopped thinking about you guys. Thanks for sharing

Suzanne said...

Love you girl! This was wonderful and i Loved everything you said. And I hope you don't mind if I post your link on my blog. I've been trying to blog about this for a while now and just can't keep it together when I do. Thanks for everything and we love and miss you guys! Having a baby tomorrow! Wish you, Jake and king could be here!

April said...

Thankgoodness for the gospel! I don't know how anyone could get through something like that without it. We'll keep you in our prayers!

Turley Family said...

we are so sorry to hear of your loss. we will keep your family in our prayers.

Kristin said...

I am a friend of your sister in law Suzanne, and as I read of your father in law's passing, I felt the Spirit so strongly. I too am so grateful for eternal families and for the resurrection. I know that it is all true and real, and your words here in this post strengthened my testimony of these things. Thank you for your strength to share it.